The Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguration and a Retreat Center of the Diocese of Virginia, Shrine Mont is located in Orkney Springs, Virginia, in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. With 1,000 acres of forest, Shrine Mont offers plenty of space for hiking, camping, and enjoying God’s created world. It’s literally at the end of the road, so there’s no traffic and no cell phone reception.
Every spring, parishioners of St. James’ Church gather at Shrine Mont for a Parish Retreat, a weekend to relax, refresh, recreate, and worship in the outdoor church that is the Cathedral of the Transfiguration. The Parish Retreat is a great opportunity to connect with one another. While programs are offered, participation in any activity is purely voluntary. Some folks prefer to simply relax in the rustic environment and join in with others for meals; some people choose to nap and sit down with a good book. Others enjoy wandering trails, exploring the creeks, browsing the Shrine Mont Book and Gift Shop, or visiting the old-time candy store.
The summer program at Shrine Mont offers nine amazing camps each summer. From hiking to singing, arts and crafts to an evening spent playing Capture the Flag, all of the camps offer a mixture of recreation, group building, spiritual development, and just plain old fun. No matter how old or young a youth is–whether an Episcopalian for life or just checking out the Church–if youths or families are interested in spending some time in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley with others in a warm, safe, and welcoming environment, we’ve got a spot for you!
Here are 10 things your camper can expect at Shrine Mont Camps:
1. An opportunity to explore faith in an environment that is open and welcoming.
2. Plenty of “unplugged” time away from phones, televisions and the internet.
3. Delicious food: apple crisp, taco Thursdays, cookouts and more!
4. A safe environment–physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
5. Fun, loving, and dedicated staff who will laugh, talk, and pay attention to every camper.
6. Gentle encouragement to break outside of one’s comfort zone.
7. A chance to learn more about oneself and the world at large.
8. Plenty of running, hiking, swimming and singing.
9. A sore stomach from laughing so hard.
10. Unconditional love.
For more information about Shrine Mont Camps–including the 2016 schedule and rates–click here.