2017 All-Parish Retreat at Shrine Mont
May 19-21, Orkney Springs, VA
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
Join us for our annual All Parish Retreat at beautiful Shrine Mont, a Diocesan camp and retreat center in the heart of the Blue Ridge mountains. It starts Friday night with dinner, includes all meals, activities, time for relaxation and fellowship, worship at the Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguartion, and ends with lunch on Sunday.
Adult Double Occupancy = $165 / person
Adult Single Occupancy = $215 / person
Youth (Age 4-12) = $60 / person
Children 3 and under are free
Have you ever wished that you could connect with more people at St. James’ Church in a restful setting so that you could faster new relationships and make new friends? Are you looking for a chance to escape from the daily grind so that you can unwind and relax? Have you ever wanted more time to renew your relationship with God as you enjoy God’s created world?
If your answer to these questions is “yes!”, then the St. James’ Church Shrine Mont Retreat is for you! You have…
- Time to relax and slow down
- Time for yourself and your family
- Comfort food
- Spiritual nourishment
- Hike up North Mountain
- Saturday night bonfire
- Fishing at the ponds
- Fresh air
- Porches, rocking chairs, woods, and mountain air
- Sunday morning Holy Eucharist at The Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguration (outdoors)
What do we do there?
Shrine Mont is a great place to foster new relationships and make new friends. It’s a wonderful way to get to know one another in a more leisurely setting. And Shrine Mont is a lovely spot to deepen your relationship with God. We invite you to join us in this opportunity to unwind and come together as the St. James’ Church family in a relaxed setting.
While there is a program for adults on Saturday morning and all kinds of activities throughout the weekend, participation in any activity is purely voluntary. You and your family members are welcome to join in or not. Perhaps you prefer to simply relax in the rustic environment and join others for meals. Some people just nap and read books. Others enjoy wandering trails, exploring the creeks, or browsing the book shop and candy store. There are plenty of porches and rocking chairs. Join any activity if you want, when you want. And if you are first-timer at Shrine Mont, we’ll be happy to show you around so you can familiarize yourself with this very special place!
- The retreat begins on Friday evening by gathering on the Front Porch for welcome and a Dessert Bar.
- Saturday evening features a bonfire with s’mores and a singalong, Compline, and bingo and board games in the Virginia House Ladies’ Parlor.
- On Sunday morning we’ll gather for Holy Eucharist at The Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguration (outdoors).
Friday May 19
- Welcome and Check-in (Virginia House Porch)
- Dinner, followed by a Dessert Bar (Hall House)
Saturday May 20
- Full Breakfast (Virginia House Dining Hall)
- Adult Program led by Kate (Hall House)
- Lunch (Virginia House Dining Hall)
- Activities—all optional:
- Hiking for families, individuals, and small groups of all ages
- Kickball and croquet
- Other sports and fishing
- Rainy-day activities, if necessary
- Informal Social Hour (Hall House House Front Porch)
- Bonfire, s’mores, and singalong
- Bingo and board games (Hall House)
Sunday May 21
- Full Breakfast
- 11 am Holy Eucharist at The Shrine of the
- Transfiguration (outdoors)
Things to bring
- Snacks, appetizers and drinks for social events
- Extra blankets and pillows
- Casual clothes and walking shoes
- Jackets and rain gear/warm hoodies
- Extra towels and washcloths
- Sports/fishing equipment
- Bug spray
- Your Bible, books and board games
Things to leave at home
- Pets (not allowed at Shrine Mont)
- Radios, boom boxes
- iPods, iPads, CD players, headphones
- Cell phones (There is little to no cell phone reception at Shrine Mont—give it a rest!)
- Squirt guns, water balloons
- Skateboards, roller blades
- To-do lists
- Work-related materials
What about children?
Shrine Mont is a wonderful place for children. It is tucked in at the end of a cul-de-sac and is surrounded by mountains. There is plenty of time for finding salamanders, visiting the candy store, and just exploring God’s creation in a free and unstructured way. Child care for younger children will be a co-op of parents with young children and provided during Saturday morning’s program.
When do I find out where I am staying?
Housing assignments change up to arrival time, so you’ll learn where you are staying when you get to Shrine Mont.For safety reasons, we ask that you not change your room assignment.
You will be given a registration packet once you check in on the Virginia House Front Porch between 5:00-7:00 pm on Friday. Please let us know in advance if you expect to arrive after that time.